From:
Debbie Utter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 18:38:09 -0500
I have just spent 45 minutes trying to keep ahead of one ferret escape
artist!!  I've already posted once today asking for help ferretproofing a
dryer.  Now I need help for the kitchen.

Sally is tiny and has crawled into the 1" space between the refrigerator
and the wall on a couple of occasions.  Tonight, she continued past the
refrigerator, under the cupboards, to the stove.  She either couldn't
remember her way back out, or was having too much fun in there....I
couldn't coax her out at all.  Needless to say, she and the others are
back in their pen so I can recuperate and fix dinner!

I've heard others say they don't allow ferrets in the kitchen, but it
would be about impossible to keep them out of it.  I live in a mobile
home, and the kitchen and living room are connected by a 5 foot wide area.
This is also where the front door is, making a barrier of any kind very
inconvenient, if not impossible.  I do not have a dishwasher, and all the
cupboards have child guards on them (which I'm converting to
catch-and-roller type guards).  If I can figure out a way to keep Sally
from getting behind the refrigerator, I'd be all set.  I really don't want
to barricade the ferrets from the kitchen......their sand box is out there,
the water bowl they love, and they have several favorite places to poop in
the kitchen (since it's linoleum, cleanup is so much easier!!).  I'm afraid
what would happen to their potty habits if I decide to block them from the
kitchen.  Please help!

Debbie and the fab foursome: Brae, Templeton, Sally (the escape artist) and
Phoebe