From:
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 19:59:33 -0800
>From:    Angela Yealy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Marshall Farms and Laboratory Experiments

Same old same old.  We won't discuss our feeling about Peta and their
attitudes about any companion animals.

>Portions of the ad follow:
>"The Marshall Beagle - By tracking all important characteristics and
>genetic information, and then weeding out any undesirable stock, Marshall
>Farms can supply beagles ideal for research."

But thank you for pointing out that Marshall Farms is actually perhaps the
single breeder in the US "MOST" aware of ferret genetics instead of a
ferret-mill.  We'll stay out of beagle discussios.

>The Marshall Ferret offers your laboratory an affordable alternative...
>...Serving Research since 1939

Again information showing that Marshall was selling research animals long
before ferrets were considered pets.  Over three decades before.

>From:    Ferret Boy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Marshall Farms
>I may be a little new to ferrets, but from what I've heard, isn't 4 weeks
>*extremely* young?  (NOTE : of all the ferrets there, only 2 or 3
>*weren't* serious biters... of which my li'l guy is one)

A four week old ferret kit is blind and deaf.  They are not able to be
serious biters.

>Actually Jazmyn, many breeders or would-be breeders have a stake *in*
>Marshall's existence

Really?  Well when you point out that without Dr. Wendy Winsted 20 years ago
championing getting ferrets from Marshall and keeping them as pets instead
of as research animals the US ferret situation would not be what it is.

No we don't get any money from anything to do with Marhsll Farms.  This is
one of our favorite of the stupid rumors though.

>Marshall's closest competitor would probably be Path Valley Farms, and
>these two have little in common.

OH?  Other than the research thing how do they differ?

>However, Marshall has yet to participate constructively and informatively,
>in this, the largest of ferret forums.

The largest on-line ferret mailing list?  Yes.
The largest of ferret forums? No.

The AFA for example has more members than does this mail list.  Don't think
the other "national groups" do but wouldn't be surprised if the California
groups also have more members.  More people attend ferret shows than read
this mail list.  Wish I knew off-hand the subscription numbers and news
stand sales of the two major ferret magazines.

But with the ferocity of some folks on this list we don't wonder at why they
don't write more often.  Here we have a lot of folks venting and stroking
their own egos.  Take your choice as to whether the "saviors" of ferrets are
the egos or those who say that the state of ferrets is getting better are
those with ego problems.  Both?  Could be.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]