From:
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 20:15:31 -0800
>From:    Moser <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Marshall Farms E-Mail Address
>Yes, there is a Marshall Farms e-mail address out there.  Unless you're
>asking a simple question that will give them the opportunity to tell you
>how good and dedicated they are to ferrets, don't expect a response.

We've only written once and we got a reply.  We laughingly told them about
a silly rumor regarding us and them and they sent back a confirmation that
there is no financial arrangement.

It really isn't surprising that they didn't respond.  How would you respond
if you were asked "Have you stopped abusing your children yet?" Most of the
rumors about them are very old and very wrong.  Some have a little
substance.  Really what did you expect them to say?

>From:    Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Subject: Rabies Vaccine ...Why?
>I know there are several epidemiologists who read the list -- anyone care
>to entertain this highly qualified question from a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL?

At least one epidemiologist that was on the list has told us he isn't
subscribed right now...

We also don't understand why the emphasis on MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL?

>[...] epidemiologists.  They tend even still to claim the probable bat
>theory and in fact humans would be at risk as much as the ferret!

But you are rather cruel to the whole class of epidemiologists when it is
only a few that have caused trouble.  It wasn't really an epidemiologist
that came up with that theory anyway as we understand it.

But the reason rabies vaccines ARE recommended is because it is safer.  The
majority of human children will never be exposed to polio but isn't it
better to be safe than sorry to use an old phrase.

No home is completely ferret-proof.  No home is completely impregnible to
pests.  The chance of danger is minimal but the protection is worth the
effort.  Quite often we read here on the list about the ferret that never
goes outside but suddenly ran away or got loose.  It happens.  Its better to
be prepared.

The main thing a rabies vaccine in a ferret protects is the ferret from the
government.  If you can show that your ferret has been vaccinated than you
have a better shot (particularly now) than by claiming your ferret has never
been exposed.  A shot record is solid proof.  A claim of isolation is just
that - a claim.  It can not be proven most of the time.  So if your ferret
"bites" - that is an injury of even insignificant magnitude is caused by
your ferret even if sleeping - than you have a stronger leg to stand on when
defending your ferret.

Why risk your ferrets life?

Speaking of rabies and ferrets, came across a page that mentions a rabid
ferret but is probably relatively positive in its portrayal of ferrets

http://www.hamptons.com/animalcontrol/rabies.htm

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]

[Moderator's note: From the January 16, 1998 edition of the Morbidity and
Mortality Weekly Report from the US Centers for Disease Control:
"On October 19 and October 23, 1997, a man in Texas and a man in New Jersey,
respectively, died from rabies. ... a bat-associated variant of the rabies
virus was responsible for infection in both cases."  The report goes on to
say how one person was apparently bitten while asleep in a motel room; the
other was in his own living room.  BIG]