From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 1996 21:07:25 -0400
>It would surprise me if there weren't [California] F&G lurkers on this
>list, therefore the city is top secret so far.

I used to think about that too, but then I wondered how anyone could read
this list for very long and not sense the great love that ferret people have
for these animals, nor how deserving that they seem to be of it.  My
experience has been that such 'true believers' are more likely to flee from
information than to seek it.  Getting people to allow themselves to be
exposed to contrary points of view is half the battle, we should be so
fortunate.

Course then too, someone once said that "just because your paranoid doesn't
mean that they aren't out to get you." The important point is that while
there may be a need to protect ferrets in the short run, we certainly aren't
criminals either, but are actively working to change the law, and to educate
the general public.

[Moderator's note: I won't say if there are still F&G lurkers on this list -
but I agree with Mr. Williamson.  A previous subscriber who I knew was a
"F&G lurker" expressed privately to me what an education the FML had been
for him and said he would do all he could from within the department to
help legalization.  BIG]