From:
Melody Tomaszewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:44:30 -0400
Hi all-

I want to thank everyone for responding to me on the bad tasting medicine
issue, both privately and on the FML.  On Saturday when I gave Snape his
first daily dose of the nasty stuff, he managed to claw his mouth so bad
that he was bleeding.  I managed to calm him down and gave him mush to
eat later as I was afraid that hard food would hurt too much to eat.  I
called the vet's office immediately, and told the vet tech about the
situation, and that he was getting SO upset that his nose was cherry red.
She promised to talk to the doctor, and said that for now, I could take
him off the stuff.  I told her that I would be willing to learn to give
an injectable if necessary, because that would be less stress on him.  At
that point, I figured that since IBD is made worse by stress, that the
trauma caused by dosing him was causing more harm than the medicine could
possibly be helping him.

The vet got back to me yesterday, and said that since he was eating his
bland diet well, and still taking the Pred and Carafate for me that he
could be taken off of that medication.  He's doing much better; his IBD
seems to be settling down--no more rumbling sounds coming from his
abdomen, he seems less bloated, and he is happily eating regularly.

Thanks again for caring enough to give me advice and ideas.  I will no
doubt need them in the future.

Melody

P.S. Modesty has been diagnosed with lymphoma and a swollen liver.  She
is on medication that is helping give her some quality time with us.
One of the meds she really doesn't like, but she will take it under
protest......the protest involves sharing bodily fluids.  I've learned to
put a towel under her when I give her the Denosyl, and dose her BEFORE
changing into my work clothes!  LOL :-D