From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:56:47 -0400
I am NOT familiar with all of the below resources, but want to give a
feel that people COULD be looking such things up before making statements
of safety, both generally as well as in places like Pub Med.

Google results:
>about 81,700 for starvation ferret.

http://www.maferrets.org/info/facts.html
http://www.petstation.com/ferretcare.html
http://www.everythingferret.com/faq.htm
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=11&cat=1842&articleid=524
http://www.circlecityferretclub.org/subpages/daily_care.htm
http://www.petcarevabeach.com/insul.html
This vet write-up reads in part:
>Your veterinarian will want to rule out other causes of hypoglycemia
>which include; anorexia/starvation, severe bacterial infection and
>liver disease...

Notice that not eating by itself can produce low blood glucose, just
as insulinoma can.  It is not unusual to read vet posts saying the
same thing.
http://www.ferretsmagazine.com/ferrets/detail.aspx?
aid=10603&cid=4326&category=
http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/ferret.html
http://www.ferretcentral.org/faq/wholefaq.html

*****I think it is clearly the burden of anyone advising a long fast to
first prove that such a fast is safe enough and to clearly and completely
point out for which ferrets it is not safe*****, for example a pregnant
jill late in her pregnancy can die within 24 hours of not eating or
pregnancy toxemia according to multiple vet sources including at least 2
above, and certainly one with insulinoma can die more rapidly than that
because the blood sugar is already low so dropping it with a long fast
would take it even lower.  The very idea of someone not carefully looking
up such details and providing them really scares the bejeebers out of me.
The burden of proof is and should be upon the proselytizer.

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org