From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 1995 16:40:02 EST
Re: Ferret Outfitters
>When I ordered a catalog from ferret outfitters it took almost 2 1/2 months
>for it to get here, I had almost given up when all of a sudden there it was.

I've always had good luck with them. I've ordered a couple of times and
gotten the things in around 2-3 weeks. Pretty standard mail-order timing.
Maybe I've good luck since I'm a "local". I only live about an hour's
drive away from Red Creek where Ferret Outfitters is located. ;)

Re: Biting/Socialization
I saw someone here talking about having a little girl who's quick of tooth
(ie she bites).  Hijinx and Atlas spent 2 months in an aquarium at a pet
store.  Socialization when they came to live with us was nil.  We've had
them for about 6 months (they are 9 months old now) and it took me 4.5
months to start to make a change in Hijinx.  It was hard to make a change
because I couldn't find the right method nor amount of positive/negative
reinforcement for her.  Nothing that worked for Squirt or Pippi worked on
her.  What finally worked was bopping her on the very end of her nose when
she bit and keep offerring a hand and bops until she didn't bite.  When she
didn't bite any more she would get cuddled.  She's really becoming a loving
ferret...she actually notices and pays attention to what we are doing now.
Before she was completely oblivious.

Atlas......he's got a "love nip" that has to go since it's becoming harder
and harder.  We had our hands so full with 'Jinx that we put up with some
love nips from him.  We've been discouraging the nips only to have a pouty
stand-offish ferret as of late.  Although Atlas is not the brightest of
ferrets (a ferret of brawn not brain), he is as emotionally sensitive as
Squirt (who is too damn smart for his own good).  None of the methods used
on the others seem to be right for him so it's back to the drawing board, so
to speak.

It's my opinion that the real trick is to find what your ferret
responds best to. Do some experimenting with both positive and
negative reinforcemnt to find what's best for you.

You know your ferret is spoiled when you let them bite you as part
of no-nip training. ;)

-kim,mike,squirt (King of All He Surveys), pippi (pouting because atlas
took her #2 spot), atlas (weighs 5 times as much as pippi), and hijinx
(my little love-y girl)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life, I
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.