From:
Debi Rodvelt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 13:19:20 -0500
Okay, I have to add another first to my ferret experiences.  My baby
(approx. 8 months old) is not eating on her own.  She fell when climbing
almost two weeks ago and hurt her paw.  After a couple of weeks of limping,
her paw is now doing great.  The problem is that when I took her to the
vet to look at her paw, she weighed 1lb. 10 oz.  Over the next few days I
noticed her getting lighter.  I weighed her three days after her accident
and she only weighed 1lb.  1oz.  I have made a soup of a/d, chicken baby
food, ferretvite, and whipping cream to keep protein, fat, and calories in
her.  I have to feed it to her by letting her lick it off my fingers.  She
won't eat it any other way.  This has stopped the weight loss, but I have
only been able to get her back to 1lb. 3oz.

She seems as spunky and energetic as ever and even chases the newest
addition to terrorize her.  She just won't eat!  I thought maybe she hurt
her teeth when she fell, but they all look good.  She doesn't act like they
hurt when I touch them.  She eats her solid treats with no problem.  It's
just the kibble that she won't touch.  I have tried putting little crumbs
of kibble in her "soup" but she licks around them too.  The only odd
behavior I have noticed is that she tucks her chin way under when she is
eating her soup.  What could I be missing?  Her poop is rather soft but
isn't a funny color I would normally associate with a stomach virus.

Anyone with experience with this sort of thing, please help me get her
back to solid food.  I get behind on the FMLs because I read them at
work, so please respond to me directly.  I looked in the archives but had
no luck with the search words I tried.

Thanks,
Debi