From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 1995 20:42:40 -0800
To Sue Kocher:
>On another topic: Regarding the guy who did a Heimlich successfully on his
>ferret to remove a stuck bit of food.  I just read in an anthropology book
>that humans are the only animals that can actually "inhale" food...

    Sue - I'm not sure about the evolutionary anatomy, but I've seen a
number of tracheal foreign bodies in dogs or cats, so I don't think that man
would be alone in that category.  Regardless of whether the food was lodged
in the trachea or esophagus - either can be life-threatening.

    Remember, everyone, when doing "Heimlich"s or CPR on an animal, or
ferret - it doesn't matter how successful you are if you end up breaking a
rib or collapsing a lung.  Be very mindful of the small size of your pet and
for gosh sake's be gentle!!!

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR