From:
Sandi Ackerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 00:08:26 -0800
>From:    hootish <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Minnesota
>No more anonymity.  What do you think of this?

**I think there's always two sides to a story

**I think that, just like the shelter in MN, I too don't believe in
euthanasia just for the convenience of the human.

**I think...no I KNOW...that ferrets who are force fed can and do
turnaround and become healthy happy ferrets. Euthanasia is forever.

**I think that doing surgery to extend the life of anyone for a year or
two is very well worth it.  In the life of a ferret, a year is a huge
percentage of his total life.  And I think that not doing that surgery, if
recommended by your vet, is cruel and inhumane.  (I also wonder why you
think it will only add a year to a life?)

**I think NOT providing medical care for an ill ferret should be the fate
of the human as well.  (No medical care for *you* my dear, after all
there's no way to know how long your life might be extended, so it's
probably not worth spending the money on you.)

**I think that people who commit to animals, and then move to where they
know animals are not allowed, is one of the MAJOR reasons ferrets get
dumped at our shelter. Dumped ferrets is why there are shelters everywhere.

**I think that I too would not accept a donation (another word for
conscience money) from someone who treated ferrets with the type of disdain
you tell us you showed towards the ferrets in your care.  You can not buy
your way back into the good graces of rescuers.

**I think that someone who writes posts like yours, is indeed a very a
angry person and is merely trying to discredit a shelter.  Your post does
not make you look like the benefactor you wish to be seen as, but instead
as someone who would not be approved to adopt a ferret from our shelter
either.

Thank you for asking what I think,
Sandi

Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
House Rabbit Society
a non-profit animal shelter
14325 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125