From:
Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 01:12:54 +0800
>From:    Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ADV test results for Celtic Ferrets and Mysyx Effects Ferrets
>
>I have recieved the results of the ADV tests for myself, Kathy Gallagher
>of Celtic Ferrets, Columbus, OH and KimWolfe of Mystyx Effects Ferrets,
>of Gallaoway, OH.
>
>We are ADV negative.

Congratulations!  But make sure you keep on testing ... it seems to take
a while for it to show up on the CEP test.

>I want all rumors stopped that I have any ADV+ ferrets in my ferretry or
>that the many kind adopters who took my ferrets when I was ill recieved
>sick ferrets.  I f you don't know don't ask.

But you *did* have at least ONE ADV positive ferret.  It was a v-hob named
Teddy.  Teddy (and Draco - now known at Tish) can be seen at
http://www.geocities.com/russiansmom/friends.html

On the Ferret Breeders Forum at eGroups, Kathy Gallagher posted on
Nov 29, 1999:
 "I made a "basket purchase" of 8 ferrets from another breeder this
  summer, some of whom were represented to me as being breeders.  Of the
  4 represented as "breeders" were 1 V-hob, 2 jills, and 1 hob.  The
  v-hob is a popular guy right now, and only 1 of 2 in our area, and the
  only one currently in season.  Several other local breeders will be
  v-hobbing retired studs or other hobs not suitable for breeding.  The 2
  jills were 2 yrs old and 4 yrs old.  On the advice of 2 other breeders,
  I dud studded her and had her nuetered."

On the FML, Kathy Gallagher posted on 15 Mar 2000:
 "I have a pair of special needs ferrets, who have become ill and need
  to live out the rest of their lives where they can be loved and played
  with, but can't be around other ferrets.  I cannot guarantee their
  health or their life span.  You may be setitng yourself up for a broken
  heart with these two.  Teddy and Draco have been living together for
  about 2 mos.

  Teddy is an adorable ferret that we used to take out in public.  Sweet
  tempered, tolerates being held and cuddled.  Will occassionally throw
  himself into your arms if he thinks it will get him out of his cage.
  Current on all shots.  He is a big sable boy, needs to be nuetered
  soon.  I have his paperwork, but I think he is around 3, has been used
  for dud studding and has some nice show certificates."

On the Ferret Breeders Forum at eGroups, Kathy Gallagher posted on
Apr 23, 2000:
 "Draco, a dark sable, technically a black sable, 1 yr old, was dud
  studded out of season, and will be bred next year."

On alt.pets.ferrets, Kathy Gallagher posted on 06/07/2000:
 "The sale of the toys is to set up a vet fund for special needs boy
  Teddy who is going to a new home because I can't take care of him any
  more.  I'd like to make donation to his new family."

On the Ferret Breeders Forum at eGroups, Kathy Gallagher posted on
July 19, 2000:
 "Ilsa, a 100% German girl, who is now 3, and is "on loan" to another
  breeder for one last attempt at breeding her before she is retired this
  year."

On alt.pets.ferrets, Kathy Gallagher posted on 07/30/2000:
 "Suki had her kits today.  She needs to stay with me instead of going
  to her surrogate breeder, because of ill health."

So - with those quotes, lets see what we come up with . . . .

November 1999 you stated that you got a v-hob (Teddy) from another breeder
and you used that V-hob on a jill.  In fact, that several people used him
for dud studding.  Meaning he exposed all of those ferrets as well.  March
2000 you posted about the v-hob and a jill he was put with.  On this list
you advertised him as a "special needs ferret" when you wanted to place
him.  You made no mention that he was ADV positive.  But you knew he was.
In April 2000, you stated that the jill (Draco - that was living with
Teddy) was dud studded and was going to be bred next year.  You were going
to breed her even though a month before you knew she was exposed to ADV?
In June 200 0 you posted about funds being raised to donate to Teddy's new
home - again - no mention that he was ADV positive.  In July, you talked
about breeding a jill "on loan".  This jill was exposed to ADV by being in
your house.  Maybe not after you got test results back, but before as these
two ferrets came from the same breeder.  The end of July 2000, you posted
about kits that were being kept in your house - where at some point several
of your ferrets possibly were exposed to an ADV postive ferret.  So are
those ferrets exposing the kits now?

So what does this mean?  Well, Teddy is ADV positive via the CEP (United)
test.  This means that he has the antibodies (the stuff that fights the
virus).  The question is - does he have the antigens (the virus) as well?
Well - the really scarey part about ADV is that ferrets have tested
negative with the antibody test and positive with an antigen test!
Meaning they do not need to have the antibodies (virus fighter) to have
the antigens (virus).

So Teddy has exposed multiple ferrets one way or another.  The ones in
Kathy's house from breeding (dud-studding), ones in other breeder's houses,
etc.  All of the jills put with him have exposed their cagemates as well.
I am sure that before you discovered Teddy was positive that you did not
keep him in different play areas, use different litter scoops, wash your
hands, change your clothes, etc between handling your other ferrets -
including your shelter ferrets.  So that means they were exposed as well.

You said Teddy was "special needs" - not ADV positive.  How misleading is
that?  Did you inform every person that helped you out by adopting your
ferrets?  ADV ferrets should not be bred - why would you consider breeding
one that was exposed to Teddy for months?  Especially after you said that
it was a great possibility that she may have it from being with Teddy?
Heart breakers, remember?

And, furthermore, knowing that your ferrets have been exposed to ADV - how
could you "loan" out these to other breeders?  Do they know about Teddy?

And why did you get snippy with me when I asked about Teddy on the ADV list
several weeks ago?  You said that you never hid the fact - but you never
admitted it, either.

>If you've participated in repeating these rumors, stop now!

I don't think anybody started the rumours, Kathy, you did a good job
painting the picture all by yourself.

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms
http://www.geocities.com/flemmingfarms