From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 1995 09:40:32 -0500
Bob,

You mentioned that you niticed sort of a waterfall effect in the dominance
game?  Yep, we see a lot of that too.  In fact, most surprising is the fact
the the one on the bottom of the tier, is the most aggressive when it comes
to introducing a new one.  Lowen was the calm easy going one who used to get
beat up by everyone.  It got so bad that we decided that he needed a time
out that was separate from the rest of the crew.  Now he'll lunge out of our
arms to get at any new ferret that happens to get within reach.  The alpha
males are much more easy going.  They seem content to put the new ones in
"their place" once and leave it alone after that.

Someone else asked about their small adoptee not getting along with the
others - sniping I think was the term.  Sounds like our Topaz.  She has
taken to that routine too.  I put it to her watching Shark Week on the
Discovery Channel.  She'll snipe at the small females (all are bigger than
she is) and chase them all over the house.  Come nap time, though, she's
curled up with the rest of them (with an occasional nip from time to time.)
We just let them settle it on their own.  No harm, no foul.

Recliners.  I have to agree with the poster that recommends getting rid of
it.  Or at least taking some heavy wire and binding up the mechanism so that
it can't move.  We've heard too many stories of ferrets being killed in
them.  "We were always so careful and I just _knew_ that [the ferret] was in
[his/her] cage" In my opinion, it's just not worth the risk.

Vaccine reactions.  They are not common but happen.  Rhone Merieux, maker of
the IMRAB rabies vaccine, recommends a two week spacing between the
distemper and rabies vaccinations.  Always wait at least 30 minutes
following the vaccination before leaving the vet's office.  (Our vet sets a
timer so that people know when they can leave.) We give ours an oral dose of
pediatric benadryl (0.5 - 1 cc depending on weight - check with your vet)
about an hour before they get the vaccination.  It won't prevent the
reaction, but does seem to make it more manageable.  _Our choice_ is to not
vaccinate those that have had reactions.  Others disagree with that choice.

Pine shavings and wood chips.  We have a letter signed by Dr. Judith Bell
of Marshall Farms recommending that ferrets _not_ be placed on wood
shavings.  MF does ship using sterilized Aspen Shavings, but recommends that
the stores not use any wood shavings once they are in the store.

Woops, this post is getting long.  Better quit before it gets bounced.

Dick B.