From:
"Irene E. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 1995 09:56:02 -0500
<He will not eat meat or meat flavored treats."
Maria - Humans not only survive, they often thrive on a plant-based diet.
What I've read concerning the dietary needs of ferrets indicates that cannot
be said for ferrets.  Having a ferret who won't eat meat is a dilemma!  Let
me tell you about my Mikey.

Mikey was adopted by me following a call from the animal hospital ("This
ferret needs a permanent home and we thought of you....") The couple who
brought Mikey to my home shared how his original "owners" essentially
neglected him.  While this couple clearly had good intentions, they were
ill-equiped to provide Mikey with the needed care.  When asked about his
diet, the wife replied, "Mikey only eats his O's" adding "we brought a bag
for you so you won't have to buy some for a while." Thinking they were
simply using a cutesy name for his dry cat/kitten/ferret chow (I prefer the
term "crunchies"), I had to control myself when they presented me with a box
of Cheerios!

Briefly, Mikey's eating habits had to be changed because his future health
depended on it.  At first he rejected the ferret chow my kids were
accustommed to eating.  Thinking if the shape of the kibble approximated his
beloved O's, he would be more willing to accept it, I offered him a circular
shaped premium brand kitten chow.  He all but rejected that until I mixed it
in with his "O's" (yes, I was desperate.) Meanwhile, I bought some Hills A/D
(I didn't know about Deliver 2.0 back then) and syringe/ finger fed him.
Patience paid off as he now readilly accepts Totally Ferret.  Hmmmm, maybe
my calling it "O's" helped the process along ;-)

Maria, I hope you understand this post is **not** a flame.   I am **not**
implying you don't know what Giz needs!!!  I shared the above to point-out
that it **is** possible to alter the diet of a ferret.  Having said that, if
**all** your efforts fail, I will provide you with information regarding the
book and product (designed for animals other than ferrets) that Christine
mentioned. I pray you will **not** have to consider that option as I
seriously doubt that product will provide what Giz needs.

   Irene (who is a vegetarian)