From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:43:16 -0700
Hello!  Shawn and I went out on Saturday to finish up on some errands.  We
bought two cat carriers and then headed to the pet store in town to talk
with Sharon (shelter mom) about some things.  They had 2 kits there (use
to have 6) - both fixed.  So, we took them out to play for a bit while we
talked to her.  Well, that is the last time I will go into the store.  I
just couldn't put them back into the cage.  So, we now have them.

They are 7 weeks old (shipped there at 6 weeks from a Canadian breeder).
Kuri Ann is a cinnamon color and reminds me of Spice when we got her.
Very quick and always ready to go.  She is VERY curious and very strong
for her size.  She still frightens easy though.  She is more of Shawns
little girl.  Dodge Michael is a silver.  He is a cuddlier.  He acts more
like an infant than a ferret.  He has a beautiful big head and paws.  His
movements are not up to speed with his sister.  He cries when he can't
find her or me.  He also scares kinda easy but he is not afraid of the
dogs or cat.  He is my ferret.

Pepper (my silver 8 month old) acts like their mommy.  She is just so cute
to watch.  She even slept with them one night. - the kits have their own
cage (we took the four story cage that Flower was in and put them in the
bottom two floors and Flower in the top two.  We let Pepper play with them
when she wants (and they are up) but don't force her to stay with them all
of the time.  Pepper was letting Kuri bite all over her.  Then when Kuri
got too rough, Pepper put her in her spot and then continued to play.

Flower...(foster kid) she is just great with them too.  She doesn't act
like a mommy though.  She is more of like an older sister.  She is great
with them.  They are about her size too!  LOL.  She was going to go to
sleep with them the other day and I watched her laying in the sleeping
bag, just cleaning them.  But then the other ferrets got up and we had to
move Flower since she was at the bottom of the cage and the others were
keeping her awake.

Bugs (he was a foster kid....but my niece Samantha who lives with me, has
adopted him).  He is like an uncle to them.  He is not fixed, however he
is so funny with them.  He tries to carry Kuri off to keep her safe...but
as he is doing this he is bouncing her head everywhere!  It is just too
funny.  We stop him after a bit so that they don't get hurt and they can
play without being drug everywhere.  He doesn't drag Dodge too much
because Dodge cries...and then Kuri has to rescue him.  Bugs is just so
big...but he is so gentle with them...I was really amazed.

None of the ferrets are allowed unsupervised time with the ferrets (except
Pepper who slept over night with them....I was scared all night and kept
waking up to every noise I heard!).

Now, the problem child....Spice, the first ferret and the Queen B.  We
thought we might have a problem with Pepper but not with Spice.  Well,
Shawn was holding Spice and Dodge came up to Spice.  Spice acted like
nothing was wrong and it was no big deal.  Then suddenly she attacked from
out of nowhere.  She grabbed him by his ear...not in play.  He was crying.
Shawn got Spices mouth open and I took Dodge...who cried until he fell
asleep on my chest.  Well, then on Sunday, Shawn held Spice.  We put some
ferratone on my hand and they both ate out of it with no problem.  So we
thought "hay, this just might be ok".  Then after the ferratone was gone,
Spice just reached over and grabbed Dodge by his ear again (same ear
too).  This time she wouldn't let go.  Shawn couldn't get her to release.
Spraying her with water on belly didn't work (she hates water on her
belly).  So, I grabbed my spoon that I had from some refried beans and put
that in her mouth...she didn't like the taste and let go.  Now, every time
we tried to get her to let go she shook Dodge and bit harder.  Poor little
guy, his ear was sore (no blood though).  He curled up on my chest and
went to sleep after crying for a bit.

I am at a loss of how to get her to accept them.  I know that next time
they are introduced to Spice, it will be Kuris' turn first.  She is a
little tougher...and I don't want Dodge hurt anymore.  Any suggestions?
I have been reading the Ferrets for Dummies book and will try some things
out of there....like, switching bedding so Spice has to smell their scent
all of the time.  Putting them close together - without touching in their
cages.  I can't even put them out near her cage because she bites their
paws when they put them up on the cage.

Spice started attacking Pepper because she smelled like the kits when she
is with them.  Pepper can take care of her self but doesn't stand up to
Spice normally.

Shawn is just so upset about this.  He doesn't know how to fix it.  We
want to (and will) keep the kits and want them to bond with Spice.  She
took awhile to accept Pepper and Bugs...but didn't attack them like this.
She did attack Flower....who she still won't accept....not sure what to
do about that either.

So, any ideas?

Joanne
Spice, Pepper, Bugs, Flower, Dodge and Kuri

OH MY HOW THEY GROW ON YOU!!!!!

(PS Flower is still up for adoption.  I am in the Sierra Vista, Arizona
area.  You can see her pictures at
http://www.geocities.com/ferretcorneraz/index.html )