From:
Camilla Englund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 01:35:22 PST
Rachel Feibelman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I wanted to get opinions on whether or not people have had their private
>bred ferrets descented.  At what age was it done?  If you didn't do it, do
>you ever have problems with their anal glands?  Do they express them in
>anger or fear and how often?  I'm getting a privately bred fuzzy soon and
>I can't decide what to do because no one has very much experience...

Hi Rachel.

Here in Sweden ferrets are normally not descented (unless there are some
medical problem with the glands, or somthing like that, I guess).

Every ferret is different when it comes to how often and in what situation
they're likely to poof, but normally it is a reaction of fear or
startlement.

I have three ferrets and here are my personal experiences:
- Obelix has to my knowledge *never* poofed!
- Ozzy poofs maybe once a month when the home situation is stable. Now
  with a new ferret in the house, he poofs a little more often. Sometimes
  when he fights and sometimes, it seems, he "sympathy-poofs"! (Poofs when
  Phoebe poofs.) :)
- Little Phoebe poofs when in a fight, but it has lessened greatly. (Both
  the fighting and the smelling.) From several times a day, she has only
  poofed twice in the last week.

It's very stinky, but it airs out in a couple of minutes if you open a
window.  It can leave some smelling on the bedding, so a change can be in
order, and the ferret itself can smell a little more stongly afterwards,
but a quick rinse (without shampoo, only water) lessens that as well if you
think it's bothering.  I would never consider descenting unless something
was medicly wrong!

Have fun with your new fuzzy!!

Millan