From:
Mustang Charlie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 18:57:01 -0800
>agree Marshall Farms is an abomination to all ferret lovers.  They breed
>for profit and don't really give a hoot about their ferrets health and
>living condisions, unless they stop reproducing.  Ferrets from MF are
>supposed to have HALF the life span of a respectaple breeder's ferrets (3-6
>years as apposed to 8-14).They breed brothers with sisters and moms with
>sons.  They look at ferrets in the respects (disrespects) of a car or toy ;
>with just as mutch mass-production.  Their ferrets are also more inclined to
>health defects.

Gimme a break.  Your emotions are hangin' out girl, not your common sense.
Absolutely NOTHING you said has ever been substantiated.  Making these broad
statements does more harm to fuzzydom than good.  Deal with facts..not what
you have heard that sounds true.  Unless you have seen it with your own
eyes, and have first hand, provable knowledge, anything you say is simply
heresay.

Of course MF and all other commercial breeders are in it for the
money...that is what "commercial" means.

As for health...My first ferret died at age 10..considered extremely old for
a fert..he was an MF ferret..and had few health problems.  My 5 year old is
healthy as an ox..he is MF.  My sick ferret, is a private breeder fert..now
HE has had all the problems with adrenals etc.  (He is also 8 now)

There is a lot of opinion out there, but no facts pertaining to health and
MF.  Let's not cloud the issue with supposition.  Stick with FACTS!

As for in-breeding..I really doubt they practice this.  No breeder would.
Their business is producing ferts..In-breeding will create numerous problems
for any breeder.  Problems that include smaller litters, higher kit deaths,
deformities and temperament problems.  I don't care how successful a breeder
is, those things will will put him out of business...quickly!

WE humans always tend to think with our emotions, not our heads...and that
creates many problems...both for the pro and con of any issue.  Again, STICK
TO THE FACTS.  "Facts" being defined as, "What *can* be proven".

Joe