From:
Sheri Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 07:51:55 -0500
Hi again, everyone!

Sheesh, but I'm prolific, lately!

I saw yesterday's question about skunks, and it was great timing, because we
might have an opportunity to get a baby raccoon--a friend of ours *is*
getting one, so any info anyone might have is still important to me, even if
we never quite get to the raccoon adoption stage.

Here's what I've heard so far: baby racoons and kittens and puppies do fine.
Raccoons and adult animals do not do fine together.  No knowledge of
raccoons and ferrets.

This litter of 4 baby raccoons are the offspring of adult parents, both tame
since their own infancy (not siblings, either) and both parents have shown
good temperaments well into adulthood.

I'm asking questions to get info, so please, no flames about adopting "wild
animals"--this is something we *might* have the opportunity to experience,
though we're not overly serious about it.  Dave's always always always
wanted to raise a raccoon from babyhood.

But our fuzzies definitely come first.  Does anyone have any experience with
this?

And anyone who has raised a raccoon, could you e-mail me privately with your
experience and opinions about whether it's an okay idea or a bad one?  (Yes,
I've heard that they don't make good pets once they reach adulthood.)

Thank you very much.

--Sheri

PS--please don't flame me for asking questions.