From:
"William A. Killian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 13:41:17 -0400
We've FINALLY sort of maybe finished moving out to Mountain Falls Virginia
(yeah look for THAT on your maps!) There are no retail anything in that tiny
town... But this has kept us offline sort of for a few days.

Gotta a lot to say so we'll split it up and see what order BIG elects to
put it in... <grin>

>From:    Jamie Schuster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Difference in Ferrets

Sounds like Snowflake is not adjusting too well to a new food.  She'll have
to start on the same food as she had before and over time you can wean her
over.  Some ferrets swicth instantly - some don't switch well at all.  We've
used the mix them together technique at times.

You keep the old and new food in a bin together for a while so they pick up
each others scents.  The ferret can then notice the "food" scent on the new
food and eat it adopting the new scent as food and eventually eat it without
the other scent.

>From:    Beth Fisch <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: new ownership
>My question is how well do ferrets adjust to new homes and owners.  If they
>don't do well how can I make it easyier.

Usually (but not always) well.  Most problem occur when other ferrets are
involved.  You are doing the right thing by getting on this and any other
mail lists.  Check out some of the web sites - in particulkar ferret central
and even more important the FAQ.  Pam Greene does an excellent job on these.
Christine Code's ferret net is another excellent starting point for ferret
research.  We usually go through one or the other on our way to other ferret
sites...

http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/
http://www.ferret.net/

>From:    Sc Ellis-Blackwell <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Disaster Pointers/Need Lighting Advice

[Moderator's note: I took this piece out since it looks like it was also
included in another of Zen's posts today.  BIG]

>From:    Junior Caicedo <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: my fuzzy is gone!

Have you checked for local shelters?  They aren't free but many cost less
than private breeders and pet stores.  There are shelters in that area.

Easiest list to check is the AFA list at http://www.ferret.org/

>From:    Sue Rekas <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Odor
>before I end my letter, I am feeding them Iams kitten (purple bag).  Should
>I be feeding them a ferret diet like totally ferret or marshalls?

Totally Ferret is a 'better' food but Iams is fine.  The better the better
the better the odds against health problems but it is no guarantee.  Just
like with people.  We all know what we SHOULD eat but most of us end up
eating the occaisional (or more often) 'bad thing'.  The more bad things we
eat the more likey we will have a problem but many folks eat bad food and
still live long lives.  Ferrets are about the same.

>From:    Corrine Rooney <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Help!!!!
>They are as big as him and actually Garby is even bigger.

Sounds like this is the first time Satchmo hasn't been "top guy" by sheer
size.  Can't promise they'll get along but most end up fine.  But some
don't.  You are reaching the "size" that you'll possibly end up with
seperate "colonies" co-existing.  Shelters and breeders get quite used to
having seperate groups that run together but not with other groups.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
mailto:[log in to unmask]  mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.zenferret.com/