From:
Tracy Tunnison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 11:58:27 -0500
Hi all!  Just had to add my two cents worth about Tasha's post about the
humane (and I use that word loosely) society in Lincoln, NE.  About a year
ago I was on a committee to set policy for the Kent County Animal Shelter
here in Michigan.  Also on this committee was a lady from the Kent County
Humane Society.  Now, you would of thought I would have the most trouble
from the government shelter vs.  the one "for the animals", but the exact
opposite was true.  The Animal Shelter was all for coming up with a viable
plan to adopt out any fuzzies they may receive and/or not claimed.  We were
able to do this by the GLFA signing a lawyer drawn up contract placing all
ferrets here in my shelter (which is a GLFA shelter).  The lawyer was needed
cause Kent County is very litigious and they wanted to cover their butts,
which is fine.  However, the humane society representative informed me in no
uncertain terms that "ferrets are better off dead than being placed in a
home"!  Can you believe the ignorance???  When I then asked why in the world
she was even on the committee, she told me she was there to try to change
the minds of the Animal Shelter!!!  It just goes to show, you never know who
is on your side in all this till you actually talk to them.

So to any of you in Michigan, don't help the Kent County Humane Society till
they get there heads out of their butts and use knowledge, not superstition.

Tracy Tunnison
Mid-Michigan Ferrets and Rescue
"Where the Fun Starts!"
GLFA Show Registrar