From:
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 21:04:04 EST
Hello all, i wanted to take some time to post, its been real crazy here
latley so please bear with me.  I may not be very punctual or my spelling
will probably be awful.

First, I started out with one ferret over 2 years ago and he was a rescue
of sorts, then around 10 months later I got another one, she got loose and
in my quest to find her i obtained 2 unwanted ferrets, one was sick.  well,
the numbers were adding up and i became a ferret shelter.  i have the money
(no, i'mnot rich), and the means to care for these guys or i wouldn't do
it.  so, i guess my point is that i wasn't missing anything from my life, i
have a great son, and other critters, and a great job.  The only thing
missing in my life is the things the shelter ferrets take and stash in
their hideaways!

As for the poster that said that she probably wouldn't pass to adopt a
shelter ferret, why not?  I think that maybe people really shouldn't judge
or generalize with out walking a mile in their shoes.  Don't you think that
there should be some guidelines?  Or should we be like the stores and say
well you got the money we'll adopt to you?  I don't think so.  I can't
speak for all shelters, but I ask that the ferrets be fed a quality food,
why not?  They shouldn't eat dog chow, right?  I ask that they get proper
vet care and if ever a situation rises that they can't pay then turn the
ferret back to me so i can properly take care of him.  i don't say well
your a bad owner, i thank them for doing the right thing.  I let my ferrets
run free as much as possible, the old regulars get free run when i'm at
work and asleep, the newbes have supervised free playtime.  My house is
ferret proofed and no one leaves or comes in with out checking the floor
for an escapee.  But, i do advise new parents to make sure ther house is
ferret proofed before giving unsupervised playtime, i offer to help if
needed.  i encourage owners not to keep them caged alot, if thats the case
they might as well stay here.  shelters have to aprove new owners, these
ferrets have been through enough, they deserve a good home.

Just think of the worst thing that could happen in your life and you had to
surrender your babies to a shelter, wouln't you feel better knowing that
the next owners would be screened so that they will take care of your
babies the way you would want them to be.  I've had past owners thatnk me
for being careful, its shows you care.

Take a month off work and become a full time worker at a shelter, live
there, see what goes on.  Go on rescues that the ferret only lives an hour
after you pick up from breing thrown in the streets because he was sick,
watch owners cry when they leave their babies with you because their human
child has developed an allergy to them, or nurse a sick ferret day and
night for months only to have to hold her so the vet can put her to sleep
because she has crashed.  Have new owners call you and thank you for giving
them the chance of loving a shelter ferret, or bringing them by for a visit
to see their old mom and their old ferret friends.

Its a very emotional job, both good and bad, and i wouldn't trade it for
nothing!

please don't be the judge and jury, be thankful that you know there are
ferret shelters that are there if you need them, i do recommend checking
out shelters before sending donations, surrending a ferret, etc.  just as
in any walk of life there are good and bad.  I welcome anybody to check
out my shelter, ive got nothing to be ashamed of.  i'm proud of what i do.

As for the poster about home visits before adopting.  I think its great
if you can do that but if you walked into my home would that make a
difference, say everything was great but their home wasn't what you'd like
it to be, what then.  i feel follow ups are the key, i try to keep in touch
with my adoptees, so far its worked out ok, they like that i call, its
shows that not out of sight out of mind.  Remember these were my babies
even if for only a short time.

Anyway i think i had more but can't think anymore!! Old age, arrrggg.

Ok, one more thing, anyone in the las vegas area, the shelter has 31
ferrets, lots needing homes...get the hint!  Yeah, and real cool feret
stuff for sale!  To the anon poster in the apple vally area, be careful, i
got 2 ferrets in that were confiscated and brought in to the AV shelter,
they were going to euthanize them that night.  Thanks to hildi and CDFA
they were given a repreave and had to the next day to get out of Dodge.
the owners ex mom in law turned her in, don't trust anyone.  Caca land is a
real sad state of affairs.  Ps the 2 ferrets got a great home together!

Ok one more thing, enlarged spleens, get them out!!!!  They will eventually
reek havoc, don't wait untill you can see the outline of it, i have had
100% success rate with this surgery, has given these ferrets a new lease
on life!  Do it while the ferret is still healthy, better chances of a
succesful recovery, just my opnion.

fingers not working any more, so i'll shut up now.
CJ
24 Carat Ferret Rescue and Shelter
"where ferrets are treated like gold"
"cause we are you silly human", the spleenless ferret brat pack of las vegas