From:
Lee Donehower <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 1995 22:46:16 -0500
To Christian Miller and Noah:

When I first got Snowball, a larger cage was needed to first separate and
later accommodate him and Martha.  It took a week or so before I could keep
them together safely (for Martha's sake).  Snowball frequently threw temper
tantrums... attacking Martha, trashing the cage, making a racket loud enough
to awaken me from a sound sleep at 3 AM.  Comforting, nose flicks, spankings
- all failed miserably.

Fortunately I had save the old cage in the clothes closet.  Unlike the new
one, it contains no water, no food, no carpeting, no toys, no multi-levels.
 Only an old towel to curl up on over a wire floor above the litter pan.  At
the first sound of 3 AM racket, I calmly got out of bed and transferred
Snowball to the old cage, also closing the closet door behind me.  At 6:30 in
the morning when I got up for work, I'd put him back in the "condo" with
Martha.  It took ten nights of "solitary" to wear him down.  Once or twice
after that I needed to re-introduce him to the boredom booth.  Since then, he
has really mellowed out.

May I suggest the following behavior modification for Noah?

Step 1: Total isolation as mentioned, being careful to meet her nutritional
needs.

Step 2:  Short supervised stays with Feasel in her cage.  At the first sign
of trouble - back to isolation.  Try again at your convenience.  You may also
try letting Feasel out to play while Noah stays locked in Feasel's cage.

Step 3:  Kitten collar and leash.  Noah can get to know the house outside the
cages only while within your immediate reach.  At first sign of misbehavior,
back up one step for a minimum of several hours before re-attempting.

Step 4:  Remove leash, but leave collar on and supervise closely.

Increase the amount of time spent on each step before progressing to the next
and never try the next step until you feel she's mastered the previous one.
 And when she fails to meet your expectations, do not scold or punish her
physically.  Calmly pick her up and talk to her soothingly as you return her
to the previous step.

Needless to say, this approach will require a lot of effort on your part.  If
you would like to keep her, I believe the consistency will pay off.  Remember
- it took Snowball 10 days to settle down; Noah sounds like she might require
considerably more effort.  Good luck!!

To Jim Makowski & Nibbles:

I'd try starting her off in a much smaller single floor cage where the aroma
of her misfirings is more likely to reach her nose and linger until you can
get around to cleaning it up.  With smaller confines, she's more likely to
choose one corner and stick with it.  After a few months of success, then
move her back to the grander quarters.  Repeat proceedure if "refresher
courses" are needed.

Lee Donehower
Omaha  NE