Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 07:24:45 -0500
I'm not one to usually stir the pot.  In fact, I'm usually the pragmatic
one, but there is one thing that disturbs me about Kathleen Cetron's
posting about the abused ferret at the expo.  Did everybody miss how she
was treated by the AFA when she tried to report it?

COPIED FROM KATHLEENS POSTING:
>Then I went to the AFA table to report what I saw.  They looked at me like
>I was from another planet.  Then the two women in charge proceeded to tell
>me that was an ACCEPTABLE WAY to deal with a "Vicious or Biting" ferret.
>Furthermore she said that she knew the breeder well and that she was
>"gentle" with her ferrets and would never "abuse" them. She then proceeded
>to go over to the breeder and tell her what I said and pointed me out.

This is what bugs me about AFA shows.  I mean, I still go because I love
meeting the people and the ferrets, and buying from the vendors, but from
personal experience I have come to understand that AFA is very clique-ish
and you don't dare speak out against practices of certain people.  In my
opinion, AFA has turned their ferret events into popularity contests and
I find that to be distasteful.  Okay!  Okay!  Flame me if you want, but I
stand by my opinion.  If you can convince me otherwise, I'm here with an
open mind.  I am a person who is just starting to learn the ins and outs of
showing ferrets, and I can tell you it scares me to get involved with the
AFA shows.