From:
Karl Stiefvater <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1992 12:34:33 -0400
I suppose it's the defense's turn now, eh?  I don't want to say much; I
think too much bandwidth has already been wasted.

I love my ferrets dearly, I wouldn't want anything to happen to them. I
wouldn't eat them... I wouldn't want you to eat your ferrets.

However, I still think the recipes are fairly funny.  After all, they aren't
much different than what is written about other animals.  If we want
to get democratic about this, nearly half (4/9) of the people posting
on the subject agree with me.

This whole mess leads me to ask a very Taoist sort of a question.  Who
is more immature, one who does silly things, or one who lets silly things
upset him?

[Before answering, you have to decide how many "things" there were, which
ones were "silly" and finally which "things" caused the upset.  Then you
decide your question by simply finding out whether the "silly set" intersects
the "upset set".  The recipes were silly.  And the timing was in poor
taste.  I am pissed with the forgery, not the recipes.  Forging is not
silly, not one whit.

You wanna send out jokes or anything else, do it under your *real* name.
If you're afraid of being identified as the originator of something,
do us a favour and don't send it.  It's obviously not worth reading
if you are afraid to stand behind it.

With freedom comes accountability.

You caused me to breach the trust people place in me.

The worst part was that these "recipes" weren't even funny.  Like
seeing the 1000th lightbulb joke, the formula is tired, dead and
rotting.  You're not nearly as good at it as Carasso, and he does it
under his own name.  [To be accurate, he did it under his own name
for many years.  Now he comes up with silly names with the same
initials, but still doesn't forge his email address.  Falling for
one of his traps is something only newcomers do.]

If you want to get democratic about it, *none* of those 4 people knew
that the message was forged.  I wonder whether they feel the same
way now....

Besides, what makes you think that this is a democracy?  This isn't
USENET either.]