From:
Kathy Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2010 10:55:50 -0400
From Alexandra on 9-1-10:
>I am not a lawyer. It seems pretty clear to *me* on the face of things
>that Caroline Ferrets was required to get a license, was told by an
>inspector point blank on a Dec. 21st, 2007 visit that Caroline Ferrets
>was *not* one of the businesses that would be exempt from licensure,
>attempted and failed to get a license several times, and was finally
>cited with "Failure to: Obtain an USDA license while operating as a
>dealer" in early in 2008.

To whoever wants to know, I spoke with the USDA supervisor, Dr. Magid,
in Raleigh. Since it seems to mean so very much to someone (s) to get
this all 100% straight and keep everyone well informed, why don't
YOU call her? Then she can explain why forms read as they do. It may
disappoint you, however. She explained it to me over the phone, and
I think that they need more forms with more clarity, but they do not
create these forms thinking that they will be used to draw conclusions
from by people outside of their office. They are more internal, and
they know how to interpret them. Alexandra, I suppose you were there
when I was told "point blank" that I needed a license by an inspector.
Wow, now that's a smoking gun! Can we name this inspector?? Animal
Control and the USDA inspector were definitely somewhat confused, but
in the end, I got a letter stating that I did not need a license at
present and how to get one if I want one. Of course I knew that. That
is why I ordered the packets of info, to look for any changes I may
need to know about, not knowing that each time I ordered a packet they
put me in their files as requesting to be licensed, then later wrote
"cancelled." Dr. Magid was quite familiar with the inspection, the
results, and we talked at length, and to both of us the matter is
settled. She explained to me why a form was listed as "failure to
obtain a license," and I am sure she can explain it to you as well. I
don't like it, but I can't change HOW they do their paperwork. To get
all the previous paperwork summed up more accurately and reading so
that it can be better interpreted by inquiring minds who want to know,
Dr. Magid suggested that I send them a letter to which they can
officially respond, that reads with more clarity. She said that they
can't just send me a letter, but can respond and it will go into the
public record. Would anyone like me to send them a copy when I get it
back? If the USDA is OK with me, and I am OK with them except that I
think their paperwork is difficult to explain (like most government
agency forms), then what is your problem, Alexandra and also Ms
Anonymous? The USDA did not "cite" me as described, and if someone
wants to clear the matter up exactly, go to the source, which is the
supervisor at our USDA office rather than relying on documents that
they can look at "on the face of things" and draw conclusions. I think
that in the end, Animal Control of Alexander County will be making
some changes for the better, and eventually the USDA will fix their
inspection paperwork to make it easier for the public to understand
(no, I don't seriously believe that--it is government paperwork and can
only get worse). But the conclusion made by Alexandra is just plain
false, and she is right, she is not a lawyer.

Kathy Jordan
Alumni, NC State University, 1978
Carolina Ferrets