From:
Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 19:53:14 +0800
Well - IMHO - I believe the judges should dress in business casula attire.
It just looks professional and that is what you wnat to portray - just as
the Killians stated.  I also like the idea that the GLFA has.  All the
judges wear white lab coats.  This not only gives a hint of professionalism,
but it allows folks to identify the judges from a distance (ie: when they
are away from the judging area).  It also is quite unifom and the judges do
not have to worry about what to wear - you can't really see it!

Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Well, was he solid and muscular or was he overweight?

Bill brought up some good points on this subject.  Also - you have to
remember that the judges will each percieve things differently.  As long
as the judge is consistant with their thinking (IE: thinking *all* the
"normal" weighted ferret are fat and marking them *all* as fat) then they
should be pointing ok.  The only problem is that the comments can be
confusing.

Mary Jane Frank <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Almost everybody I talked to had the same comment from Judge 3 in the
>alter class--"Overweight"...if my one boy was any skinnier, he'd be skin
>and bones!  I'm pretty sure Duncan was getting his winter fur and weight
>by that point... though I must admit, the 3 kit/breeder judges all gave
>my Chaos the comment of "nice coat"...too bad it didn't help him win any
>ribbons! :)

This is a perfecet example of what I was refering to above.

Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Second, my son overheard one of the judges say something to the effect
>that he/she saw "maybe" 3 decent ferrets all day, the others were Pfffttt!

This is highly, highly unprofessional.  All the ferrets are the show are
beloved pets and *all* are spectacular in thier own special way.  If a
particular judge didn't particularly like any of the ferrets there, then
the thought should have never ever slipped from the lips at the show or
in public.  Ever.

Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]> wrorte:

>I do want to point out however that LIFE judges are NOT paid for their
>services.  For some shows judges are given a per diem to help defray
>travel expenses, but this is a nominal amount, and is between the show
>sposor and the judge.  I assume that Mr. Killian was speaking of AFA, as
>he is not a licensed LIFE judge and therefore perhaps was not aware of
>LIFE policies.

Thanks, Anne, for pointing this out.  I, for one, was not aware of this and
I am sure I am not alone in this thinking.