From:
Katherine Kuckens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 14:42:00 -0500
I live near the Berlin, CT, pet store that suffered a tragic fire and wanted
to tell Elton that ferrets were apparently not killed.  Something like 18
puppies, 4 rabbits, and several turtles died of smoke inhalation.  Many,
many animals were rescued, and ALL of them were adopted from a rescue vet,
including quite a few who were adopted by the firemen who saved them.
That's the good part of this tragic story: the pet store was apparently a
really good one run by a caring man; he had to be wrestled to the ground by
the fireman after he made many trips into the burning building to rescue the
pets.  Hundreds of people called the rescue vet to adopt the survivors.
Local TV stations ran lots of stories about the firemen who administered
resusitation and oygen to the puppies.  One TV station repeatedly urged
viewers to adopt OTHER animals at OTHER shelters (yay!)

I saw TV film of a white (albino or dew?) ferret in a temporary fish tank
after rescue. I  wish I knew what happened to any other ferrets, but all the
TV news shows insisted that all the pets had been adopted.  Maybe FACT got
involved.  I hope so.

Kat