From:
Ronnie DiComo and Possum Prints <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 15:45:18 -0500
>In USA Today: Connecticut: Berlin - a fire at "Pets for U" killed 18 dogs
>and numerous rabbits, FERRETS, and mice.

Sadly, we were in that pet store about a month ago.  It was a small, crowded
store in a rundown mall.  Fortunately, there were only a couple of ferrets,
and they seemed in good condition.  The worst part was seeing all the
dogs--older puppies in small cages with nothing to do.  I couldn't help
wondering who would come and adopt these poor dogs.  It seems that the
animals who survived the fire have already been adopted.  Someone I know
said they saw an update and that the ferrets got out okay.  I hope the
animals who didn't make it, died quickly.  Any CT folks know the whole
story?

CALIFORNIA SUGGESTION
I think anyone who attends a ferret event in the U.S. or Canada (anywhere
really) can help out California fuzzies and their owners.  Here is my
suggestion:

At every ferret event, set up a table in support of California folks.  Make
this as easy as possible.  Have pre-addressed, pre-stamped envelopes to
people in California who should be hearing from non-California residents at
this point.  (California legalization folks, who are the most important
people for non-Californians to contact?) Ask people to donate $1 to pay for
postage, and let them write 2 or 3 *short simple* letters to those
California people.

I would also have a copy of Ilona's story (I asked her and she said it is
okay to post this) for people to read.  I know I was outraged when I read
it.  I think most people in the U.S would be shocked to know that people can
invade your home and confiscate your pets.  How about putting relevant info
(ie, Ilona's story, a *few* names and addresses for out of state people to
write to) on a website so anyone who is putting together a ferret event can
use it for reference?  I think if this were done at every event across the
country, it could help!

WORKING TOGETHER
I think events like the HSUS Expo are wonderful ways to educate people about
ferrets.  The HSUS Expo draws animal folks from all over the country; I'm
delighted that there was a presentation on ferrets this year!
Congratulations to Pam and everyone else who made this happen.  In my
experience, the more people you can work with, the better!  My personal
feeling is that every animal group should be approached to help out with the
situation in California.  Why work on your own when there are lots of people
out there who love animals--who may not necessarily know about ferrets but
who can learn, just like the rest of us did (hey--how many of us grew up
hearing "ferrets" as a household word??) It's a lot easier to criticize
people than it is to work with someone you may not always agree with.  In my
opinion, people who can work together are the ones who really make things
happen.

Ronnie and
Ralphie, curator of the squeaky toy collection
Harry, 'we're going to meet some Brownies tomorrow'
Prince Charming, 'can we eat the Brownies?'
Merlin, the great white hunter of gloves