Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 07:58:13 -0600
Had to post my $.02 here.  I currently work with the University of New
Mexico on the Hantavirus project.  I do field work but have quite a bit of
knowlegde on the virus.  The virus (Sin Nombre) is spread via arisolized
fecal and urine wastes from an infected rodent.  In our area the only
tramission from animal to human has been from the Deer Mouse (Peromyscus
maniculatus).  There are other types of hantavirus out there that are
carried by different rodents but do not affect the host and most do not
become transferred to humans.  There has been no reported cases of person to
person tramission let alone person to animal (ie pet).  In my area there
have been no animals other than rodents that can contract the disease.
(people were worried that cats would give the virus to people).  My best
advice is don't clean out a shed or spare room with mice nests in it without
wearing a respirator.  The virus is also very easy to kill.  10% chlorox, or
lysol will kill it, heck even UV rays kill it.  So take care to dipose of
mouse droppings with one of the above disinfectants.  I will point out at
this point I am NOT an expert on the topic of hantaviruses I just happen to
handle hantavirus positive mice every day for a living.  So I hope I should
get my info correct :)

Check out my web page for more info on the hantavirus..I have a link to Dr
Hjelle who is one of  the top researchers on the subject!

Kat L.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*  http://www.thuntek.net/~artemis *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*