From:
Susann Thiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:07:31 -0400
FMLers:
Some of you may know about the ferrets who were rescued from New Orleans
and nearby areas after Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf.  At the
time I was in Louisiana, there were known to be only six ferret
survivors.  a very few more have been located since then.  Most of them
are now being lovingly cared for in foster homes and in
"ferret-knowledgeable" shelters.

The wonderful people of the International Ferret Congress - and everyone
from the FML who donated to the "5,000 Fund" - deserve many thanks for
making this possible.  The donations have paid for emergency surgery,
vaccinations and other needed medical care for the survivors, including
Kuddles, the little adrenal girl who was beaten with a shovel in a
warehouse in New Orleans, and Josie, another adrenal girl who was wasting
away in 100 degree heat at Lamar-Dixon.  Donations also paid for care
packages for these little ones and others.  And the IFC's hard work and
generosity made it possible for all these kids to get to shelters, foster
homes and good veterinarians in the first place.  If not for your help
and quick action, these ferrets would not have made it.

I would personally like to thank IFC co-directors Linda Iroff, Julie
Fossa and Judy Cooke, IFC coordinators Renee Downs and Brenda Johnson, as
well as Nancy Bardwell and Ken Theus of the Humane Society of Northwest
Louisiana for helping to save the lives of Josie, CoCo, Kuddles and the
others.

Thanks also to Theresa Sheehan and her husband Greg in Baton Rouge for
giving the ferrets an excellent foster home and lots of TLC.  (And also
for giving me a place to sleep after "escaping" from Lamar-Dixon!)

Also many thanks to IFC board members and advisors Bill Gruber, Danee
DeVore, Sukie Crandall, Troy Lynn Eckart, Alicia Drakiotes, Sharon
Bearden and Francine Prager.

And finally, thank you to the anonymous angel from Ohio who sent a lovely
care package of ferret hammies, treats, toys and other goodies.  If I am
able to adopt Josie and CoCo, they're going to be well and truly spoiled!

You have all done so much to improve the lives of ferrets everywhere.
Thank you!

Susann Thiel