From:
Stephanie Daniels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 14:44:38 GMT
Hi Everyone,
I have to be serious once in a while and I must admit I am a wimp.  My
husband avoids the path in front of the mall pet store when he is with me
because he knows I will just get upset.  And he knows I will start "stage
whispers" about the AWFUL conditions of the animals.  Every time, it makes
me cry.

From the tiny chihuahua that has to poop, and sleep in his food dish
because his legs go through the cage bottom, the birds experiencing anxiety
locked behind glass, the tiny iguanas, already malnourished, being fed
carrots and lettuce...and then the tiny ferrets.  They are up on the
counter near the chinchillas huddled together...they are in a 10 gallon
glass aquarium, living, peeing, pooping and eating in pine shavings.  Their
bowl turned upside down...no food in sight.  I feel sick...I am a wimp, I
can't say anything.  I feel powerless like I don't have the ability to get
this place to change.  Please don't flame me, I am making a plea for
help...if anyone knows the mall I am talking about, it is in Columbia, MD.

People are always packed in there - buying overpriced dogs...and I see
these baby ferrets - different ones each time...they are selling
quick...which makes me even sicker.  I wonder how many people go home and
put their new baby in a 10 gallon glass aquarium with pine shavings and
treat it like a hamster?!

What are the resources?  What can I do?  I don't think I can get them to
change by myself.  The place is run by a mean old woman and a bunch of high
school kids.  The whole place is a humanity nightmare.  I think the fish
are the only animals in there that are actually kept the right way.

Just thinking about it makes me gag.  Please, anyone in this area...if you
have the courage...check them out...see what I am saying...help.

Any suggestions are greatly welcomed...I have no experience with this.

Thanks,
Stephanie, Chimi & Pepe