From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 23:12:34 -0400
Tonight it is especially nice to know we are able to help -- for these
little lost ones who need to know there are humans who care.

Our new shelter ferrets from the NJ seizure arrived safely tonight.
Shelter Dad went and picked them up, came home and headed for bed after a
16 hour day.  He needs to rest for his real job tomorrow!  ( I'll bet he
appreciates it more now!)

We have the new intakes (13) all temporarily placed in groups of 2 or 3.
Kim at KiSta Ferret Rescue was kind enough to set them up in friendly
company for the trip.  All have been treated at KiSta with Advantage for
fleas, have had canine distemper and rabies vaccinations; are spayed/
neutered if required.... most are still somewhat thin and need nutritional
support.

One pair especially need some behavioral modification -- they are still
very fearful of their past shelter experience- prior to their stay at
KiSta, though they are a beautiful pair of gals.  I am hopeful they will
trust again, though it may take a little while.

The ferrets are all coating up beautifully and seem, for the most part,  to
have hearty appetites.

On Saturday, Oct 30, Ferret Services of Freedom, NH will be down to pick
some of these kids for adoption placement in the near future.  Both Ferret
Services of Freedom and Ferret Wise were empty of adoption capable ferrets
previous to this transfer - though we have waiting lists!

We expect Gimmee Shelter of Wareham, MA soon for several who need
nutritional support as well.  We at Ferret Wise have opted to care for
several advanced malnutrition ferrets as well as the behaviorally
challenged.

I would like to thank Kim at KiSta Ferret Rescue for being open and cordial
and allowing us to assist with these SPCA seizure ferrets.  KiSta was a
full shelter before they arrived there and now they are near normal
operational capacity through the transfers and adoptive placements to date.
Kim sent along plenty of shelter mix and treats to start the kids off.  I
think this is a wonderful example of how we can all, as shelterers, help
each other in times of crisis.  We take pride in knowing we could help and
will keep everyone updated.

Tomorrow I will start soup feedings and close monitoring of all ferrets as
we watch them excel to adoptive status!

Alicia, a shelter volunteer
for the many new faces - joining the many other faces of
Ferret Wise
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html

Ferret Wise is a 501c3 tax exempt roganization