From:
"Long, Katharine" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:19:44 -0400
I think finding the time requires a desire to do so and a commitment to
your animals.

In addition to having five ferrets, I do wildlife rehab and work full-time.
I am normally gone from home 10 hours a day.  I leave for work at 7 a.m.
In order to accomplish this, I get up between 4:30 and 5:00 a.m., depending
on the number of wildlife babies I have to feed.  The first hour to
hour and a half that I'm up is entirely devoted to the animals.  I paid
attention this a.m. to what I do.  I got up at 4:45.  First thing, 3 of
the ferrets are let out to play.  Cedes was given his 3 medications and
sent on his way to play with Chester and Dillon.  I then fed the two
baby field mice their formula.  The ferrets' cage was cleaned up.  Caleb
(opossum) was brought out and given his physical therapy.  His cage
was completely stripped down and fresh bedding put in.  His food was
replenished.  During all of this, little ferrets keep running up wanting
attention.  I stop when I'm doing and cuddle and play with them until
they're bored with me.  I wash up possum and mouse dishes and implements.
By this time, the first group of ferrets are returned to their cage (about
5:30 a.m.).  Then, Champ and Lany are let out to play.  Their cage is
cleaned up, litter box cleaned, food and water replenished.  I finish with
any leftover business with the wildlife.  I attempt to sneak into the
bathroom (usually am successful) and start showering and getting myself
ready for work.  Champ and Lany visit now and then and run off to play.
They wait patiently by the bathroom door so they can play in the tub when I
finish showering.  About 6:15, they are returned to their cage.  I finish
getting myself dressed (even usually have time to at least skim over the
newspaper) and leave for work, taking wildlife babies with me.  They have
to be fed all during the day.

When I get home, at about 5:00 p.m., it starts over.  I do all of the same
things but each group of ferrets gets to stay out 2-3 hours.  I also take
Caleb (opossum) outside for about 20-30 minutes of exercise/physical
therapy and take a 2 mile walk.  I manage to eat, check email, and watch TV
or read a book.  I go to bed by 10:00 to get enough sleep to start over the
next morning.  My husband isn't always entirely enamored with the time I
spend with the animals, but he manages to live through it.  He knows that
the animals are the #1 priority in our home and doesn't dare ask me to
choose (he knows what the answer would be <g>).

On the weekends, I rotate the ferrets' playtimes throughout the day.  Each
group gets probably 6-8 hours out during the day.

It's not so hard.  I have had friends who constantly tell me they're too
busy to do anything.  My response to them is that if I were as busy as
they, I would be making dramatic changes to my life (or kill myself <g>).
I don't think anyone is THAT busy.  I think it's more a matter of
motivation and desire.  You can do what you want to do.

Katharine