From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:12:37 EST
Blind Ferret:
>does anyone out there have a blind ferret?  do they do okay in a multi
>level cage?  or do i need to get a single floor cage?  any info would be
>greatly appreciated!!!

We have two blind ferrets of our own.  Abby is 9+ with insulinoma, adrenal
tumor and cardiomyopathy.  Her partner, Lowen, is blind but otherwise in
good health.  Both do quite well.  We've had several others go through our
shelter over the years who were blind.

Most ferrets are fairly nearsighted, although the degree varies quit a bit.
The blind ones don't seem to notice too much, but get along quite well by
smell and hearing.  Sight doesn't seem to be a major sense like it is in
humans.  I'm glad you're taking your ferret to the vet for a general
checkup to make sure he is otherwise in good health.  If the vet does tell
you that nothing can be done about the vision, don't worry too much.  Just
be aware that the ferret won't be able to see you approaching, or know that
you are reaching down to it.  Try slapping the floor before you pick him
up.  He'll quickly learn that is the clue that you are about to pick him up
and won't be startled.

All of the blind ones quickly learned the layout of the house, be it by
smell or memory, and could very quickly get to where they wanted to go.
Unless there was something moved since the last time, they seldom ran into
anything.

As far as the multistory cage goes, if it doesn't have just a shelf over
a large drop (In other words has a ferret-sized opening and ramp going
between levels), and the ferret has been housed in there regularly, there
shouldn't be a problem.  He'll know where the ramp is and how to use it.
Our Lowen, who is housed at the top of a six foot tall, four-tier cage,
will climb the outside of the cage, work his way around to the open cage
door, and put himself to bed.

Dick B.
4 Li'l Paws Ferret Shelter