From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 08:06:57 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    "Howell, Cynthia" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: MEDICAL:  Spinal injuries
>... our 11-week old male ...  is paralyzed in his back legs

Most spinal cord injuries need to be treated immediately.  After the first
couple days, continuing medical treatment seems to be less effective.  A Dr.
Sisson did a study on spinal cord injuries in dogs about 7 years ago and
showed that early intervention with a methylprednisolone in the first 24-36
hours did best.  For the most part, continue physical therapy for 30 days.
At the end of thirty days, what you see is probably the best it will get.

>Date:    Mon, 22 Jul 1996 13:38:13 -0500
>From:    Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Adrenal Surgery
>The safest way to determine if a ferret needs adrenal surgery is to do an
>ultrasound test, this can locate the tumor *exactly* and show the size of it
>so that the vet knows what will be involved in the surgery *before* going

I went to the Tufts Ferret Vet Seminar about 4 weeks ago and listened to Dr.
Karen Rosenthal from Animal Medical Center in New York City.  She does tons
of ferrets.  The ultrasound technician they use has been doing this for 17
years and she feels is one of the best animal ultrasound people.  In the
technician s experience, he detects less than 50% of adrenal tumors.  I
would opt for either the adrenal panel from University of Tennessee or just
a good old exploratory surgery for confirmation.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.