From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:56:38 -0400
ECE: if it lasts a short while and isn't particularly bad I personally
doubt it's ECE.  (Big time doubt it!) When we finally got ECE here a few
years ago we had three MONTHS of hell, with runs so bad that some needed
sub-Qs daily at times, and a necrotic stench filled our entire home, plus
some had lasting damage for the rest of their lives.  It's no short cake
walk.  LOTS of things cause runs which can be green or seedy or both --
from serious stress to multiple diseases.

Bill Killian's post on Marshall Farms was well reasoned and fair.  I know
that there are additional points which can be made, but he found a logical
balance from which work can be effectively done to get further improvements
at MF.  Bravo!

Mary's was logically and calmly worded and is a fine example of how to list
concerns without getting over-emotional and ineffective when working toward
change, but:

>(5) My understanding is that several ferret rescue organizations have
>tried to get MF to hand over some of their breeders who will no longer be
>used for breeding because of age etc.  but to my knowledge this has not
>happened.

This HAS happened to some extent.  There is an upstate group which has been
working with MF on the issue, as well as working with MF in making NYS
connections to finally formally change the quarantine laws there (Hi, S!),
but don't know how that is progressing.  Predating that, another group has
gotten MF to donate retired breeders to veterinary schools to be used to
get vet students used to ferrets with two requirements: that they are
spayed or altered there, and that the vet school adopt them out afterward.
I hope this is still in place.  A while ago someone told me that a vet prof
she knows got a "Huh?" when contacting Marshall Pets so I put her in touch
with the individual (Pete Reid) there who is connected with that program
and hopefully that worked since I didn't hear anything more.  I have also
been informed that a number of the retired breeders go to MF employees as
pets.  Do NOT know the progress or scope of such programs or how many more
may not be covered by them, but it's one aspect on which ferret people here
have taken constructive actions, and I am sure will continue to take
constructive actions, such as informing vet schools to contact Pete Reid
for retired breeders if that program got enough response to continue.
(Don't recall who started the vet school adoption program but it is a
brilliant way to save ferrets.)