From:
"Russ S. Hazzon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 1995 23:40:17 -0400
I just received an information packet from the N.J. Division of Fish, Game &
Wildlife today.  The packet outlined some of the changes in the laws
pertaining to various animals that must be registered with the state.  None
of the laws regarding ferrets has changed, but the following article
appeared towards the end of the packet.  Although it does not depict any
changes for ferret owners, it did cause concern:

"                            Notice for Ferret Permit Applicants

        This is to inform you of two things pertaining to the possession of
ferrets in New Jersey.  First, there is now a rabies vaccine available for
ferrets.  We are not advising you one way or another concerning its use, as
it has not been determined how successful its use will be over the long-term
in pet ferret situations.  But ferrets are susceptible to rabies and this is
a potential problem. particularly in view of the recent spread of rabies in
this state.  They are also susceptible to and can be inoculated for canine
distemper.
        Second, due to problems involving escaped ferrets, improperly kept
ferrets and ferret bites, we will be strictly enforcing all regulations
pertaining to the possession of ferrets.  FERRETS MUST BE KEPT IN SUCH A WAY
AS TO PREVENT ESCAPE OR INJURY TO THE PUBLIC.  Failure to adhere to the
regulations, which were designed to protect the animal, the environment and
the public may result in penalties and/or prosecution.  Failure to adhere to
the regulations could also result in pressure to ban the possession of
ferrets, brought about by groups concerned with the public's welfare.
Please read the regulations thoroughly.  If you have any questions, we are
available at 609-292-9591.

The third to last line in the second paragraph raises some concern.  Unless
the State is making such statements as a scare tactic, these "groups" could
cause problems.  While other states are changing their laws to allow the
possession of ferrets, I can only assume that other states could change
their laws to ban them if enough public opinion warrants it.
Regards... Russ Hazzon                [log in to unmask]