Date:
Tue, 16 May 1995 23:11:03 -0400
Greetings all at the FML.  My partner and I have been enjoying the list very
much since we recently discovered it.  We now live in MA with our illegal
alien Tico, a possibly deaf (or else he's just a master of selective hearing)
sable with a blaze.  We will be moving to New York City in September, though.
I wondered if any NYC residents on the list could clarify the ferret laws of
NYC and NY state, and also give us some idea what the general atmosphere is
for ferrets (for example, although they are illegal here in MA, they are
legal in all surrounding states and many vets are familiar with them, etc.)
Also if someone could recommend a Vet in Manhattan or near the Upper West
side who is ferret-friendly that would be great!

FYI-someone recently asked if ferrets can swim who had a pool--Both our
ferret and a family member's have both swum in a river in New Hampshire with
us and are very good swimmers although neither would really choose to do it
for sport!  When put in the water they swim a bee-line for the nearest dry
spot, including a human who looks like he/she has a likely landing spot
available!  They both love to dig in the sand on the shore though and stick
their faces in and shake them around.  I don't think that chlorine could be
real good for them, though.

Thanks for your help and happy ferreting--Tina, Joslyn and Tico (and
Pheonix the Painted Turtle who doesn't like those furry unsophisticated
ferret-types)