From:
Rick Lemker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 02:42:46 -0400
This, from Linda Doran ("Espie" #1300) struck a familiar note:

<My problem is I hate to put her [Espie] through it.  She hates to have
blood taken from her neck and once, she bit one of the vets.  So then they
anesthetized her, which I hated.  They won't let me hold her so she can
bite me instead.>

In April, Woody visited the DVM for a physical and distemper vaccination.
She's a good woman with a local reputation as a good vet, though admittedly
unfamiliar with ferrets.  Y'all don't need to be told about the stupid CA
laws, right?  She was pushing pretty hard on the painless end of the syringe,
and Woody jumped as the  needle pierced his skin.
If *I* felt it go in, you know *he* did.  It's sort of a shame the derned
injection site and the best subdue site are in the same spot.  I couldn't
scruff him.  Well ... um ... he kinda slipped my grip, and the needle popped
back out.

Uh-oh.  His first shot 10 mos. earlier went without a hitch.

I could see that the vet was feeling a bit uneasy with me at this point, so
I quickly tightened my hold and suggested we try again.  The second time
went much better, mainly because I was squeezin' the bejoobies out of poor
Woodrow.  They're *strong* for their size.

I don't doubt that the second chance was also the last chance for me.  Who
knows if they would have sedated him, but I'd have been in the waiting room
for sure.  And we all want to BE there, don't we ...?

So -- questions to those who've been through more than my grand total of 4
ferret injections:

What are your techniques in restraining the weasels for the vet WITHOUT
scruffing?  And DVM's (if you're reading), how would you prefer the human
half of your patient load to behave?  The same question could be posed to
*my* vet, but her answer might be overly discreet if it came from a patient
-- the two-legged half, that is.

BTW -- Woody's biting seems to have stopped, for the moment.  He won't even
bite the folks anymore.  Thanks to all for the suggestions.  Fingers crossed
to ward off recidivism.

Swampp