From:
Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 01:40:32 -0700
Last night a few of our fuzzies got the much coveted "run of the house"
priviledge, which we do on quiet nights when we can keep an eye on them.
Milo is banned from this game, since he ripped up a chunk of carpet in the
upstairs hall and we now have to find a match and recarpet the whole hall
before we move. But Joopie and BooBoo are pretty good so they got The
Priviledge last night.

So Joopie was wandering around and he found the candy tin where we keep all
our sticks of incense.  All ferrets participating in The Priviledge knock it
over and peek in it so we weren't paying much attention.  Joopie suddenly
began frantically removing all the incense from the tin, spreading it all
over the carpet.  He then spent some time arranging them to his satisfaction
and proceeded to roll in the incense sticks!!  He rolled, he squirmed, he
made little ball room dance moves on his back ... it was honestly one of the
funniest things I have ever seen.  He even grabbed a few sticks in his paws
and then rubbed his paws over his face.  At the end of the ten minute
session, Joopie was awarded the Prettiest Smelling Ferret Applause of Honour
from all humans watching.  He then resumed his self appointed task of
stashing stolen socks under the ferret room dresser.  I always knew he hated
baths, but I never suspected he'd go to such lengths to keep himself fresh
and avoid them!

It was simply the day of weird ferret behaviour all around.  I let my guys
out to play with two of the rescues that I know are healthy.  A huge
in-season male and his 4 month old daughter.  Anyway, the male Kodiak, was
very laid back, didn't mind all my guys running around and he even wrestled
good naturedly a bit.  After gagging from the incredible smell he gives off,
my ferrets pretty much accepted him as one of them.

Except Paczek, my sucky
I'm-scared-of-other-ferrets-mum-please-come-rescue-me ferret, who lost his
mind!!  He launched himself at Kodiak with an indescribable war cry and
tried to rip off his hindquarters!  He clutched Kodiak with his front legs
and bit his bum.  The whole while Kodiak completely ignored him, even
dragged him over to the water dish to get a drink.  So I pulled Paczek off
(not an easy task) and said "No attacking!  Bad boy!" and Paczek promptly
went into a giant sulk.  He dragged himself over to the kitchen litterbox
and threw himself on the floor where he lay, sighing repeatedly and
ocassionally kicking the litterbox with his back feet.  When I gave him a
stern lecture about acting like a spoiled brat, he picked up a tea towel and
shook it vigorously, then flung and it on the ground and went back to his
laying on the floor sighing routine.

I think I have thoroughly spoiled my ferrets.  I may not be a decent enough
writer to win contests describing it, but I think the proof is in the
pudding!!

Sheena

Milo (That carpet was already like that!!  I swear!!)
Joop (oh yah gimme some of that good smellin stuff)
Paczek (I don't CARE if he's a GUEST!  I HATE him!  I hate YOU!  I HATE
EVRYTHING!!!)
and other, more sane ferrets
Ferrets & Friends Club & Rescue E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
"dedicated to the preservation of the domestic ferret as a
 household pet", a no-kill, not-for-profit ferret facility.
For more information about the FFCR try our homepage:
< http://www.geopages.com/Colosseum/1575 >