From:
Debra Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 06:42:59 -0400
Good Morning Everyone,
First let me say thank you for all your wonderful posts.  I am a "newbie
ferret mommy" and appreciate all I am able to read.  I don't have any
ferret mommy friends so I kind of feel isolated with my new boys.

We just made it through our first weekend with the boys and God has
blessed us once again.  It just amazes me to read about how many ferrets
are abandoned at shelters, left on doorsteps, not played with, etc.  It
really is sad.  This is not just with ferrets but cats as well.  The same
place we bought our ferrets is also an adoption center and I cannot
believe how many animals are brought in or left on their doorstep.  We
need more responsible owners but where can we start this education?
Everyone I meet that hears we have 11 cats all indoors makes that face.
Each one of our babies gets individual attention.  We do not have children
even though we have tried but our kids are our children and we love them
just as much.  Now the new ferret boys are right in there with them for
love and attention.  I just wish people would take the extra step before
calling it quits and giving them up.  I hope we can educate more people
on this.

I must share our first outing.  Yesterday it was a gorgeous afternoon so
we took Michael & Gabriel into our yard(it is huge) under my favorite pear
tree so they had shade to run.  They were on harnesses of course but boy
did they have fun.  They romped and played and actually made us get down
on the ground with them so they could climb all over us.  When they were
tired they climbed up our legs to be held and cuddled into our arms.  They
were out for at least an hour or more just romping and playing and digging
in the grass.  We live in the country so I am sure that they were smelling
the mole holes.  We did take their litter pan out with us and Michael made
it once as did Gabriel but after playing they could not quite get to it
quick enough even though they were only 10ft away at any given time.  Is
it a good idea to take out the litter box or let them poo and pee in the
yard?  I was surprised when we brought them in that they didn't sleep
longer yesterday.  Also Michael seems to keep trying to chew on the bottom
of his cage even though I have teether chews in with them and they do use
them alot.  Any suggestions?  NO! has not seemed to stop him to this point
but we are being persistant.

Have a great day and keep those great ideas coming.

Love & angel ferret hugs
Debbie