From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:50:12 -0400
First off, let me say again, from having had ferrets in the family for a
long time: batches which have been improperly preserved, had some meat
which was too old accidentally added, or been improperly stored have
happened with pretty well EVERY manufacturer at some time.  It's at least
not as bad as when amounts of essential ingredients get mixed up, with
dangerously too much or too little of something ; that has happened to at
least on other food manufacturer in the distant past.  As we were informed,
not all DISTRIBUTORS have ben careful about notifying the stores they
serve.  Perhaps the lesson there is that IF POSSIBLE a manufacturer should
require the distributor to provide a list of stores served.  Of course,
it may be that distributors would never do this, in which case it's not
feasible.  We use about five high quality foods in our mix, and we love
that approach.  It means that if one can't be gotten for a while they have
others they will eat, they get variety in their diet; if one does confuse
some essential proportions then they aren't eating only the food so the
effects will be reduced; when food changes occur they still have options.
It also makes them more willing to try new foods.  We have noticed that
each has a personal "comfort food" when feeling down, esp. Warp who
normally prefers the rest to Marshall (esp. the Ferret Store food and the
fancier 8 in 1, but if she is sick with her intestinal problem (autoimmune
disorder damage) will eat the Marshall food preferentially.  At such times
it is Marshall food which keeps her alive, combined with supplementary a/d.

Lisbon, OH?!?!?  They moved to CO years ago.  Have you considered that
the STORE or DISTRIBUTOR may have done some date changing and left out
a ANCIENT bag of food?

There have been some instances here of blockages from dried bananas, not
as many as from carrots or from raw hide, and certainly nowhere near as
many as from rubber or latex, but they have been reported.  BTW, just read
a quick mention in an HSUS publication of salmonella and of intestinal
irritation (from the chemical involved in preparation) in dogs from rawhide
chews and from pig's ears.  We don't give them any of the above (though
things get stolen and broken -- like the digital camera Ashling tossed
down -- now and then, esp. with one closet door set waiting repair and
runner replacement).

There have been cases of malformed claws with declawing.  It can happen
from other non-human causes, too.  Scooter was partly eaten (a hand partly
gone) by his novice mother when he was born and that one wound up with some
strange claw and bone aspects.  Had two surgeries but now seems stable for
a long time.  Also had a twisty thin claw, and it actually grew proximally
(back toward the metacarpals) to emerge through the skin lower down.  It
caused repeated infection and the dying back of soft tissue, so -- later
on -- did one of the bone malformations from his mother's actions.  If you
are encountering that we found surgery to be the only option.  Monitor them
carefully.