Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 12:26:26 -0600
Well folks... it's been two months since I finished the babysitting saga
that became a minor nightmare.

To quickly summarize: I took in four ferrets to babysit for a woman who
was in desperate need while she found new accommodations allowing ferrets.
This woman was later found to have a history of having all sorts of animals
pass through her home only to end up giving them away, selling them, or
euthanizing them.  This woman ended up having her own children taken from
her.  She ended up surrendering two of the four to our shelter, because
one was adrenal, and the other old.  I predicted that it would not be long
before I heard from her and that she would end up surrendering another
within the next few months...

Today I got the call... apparently she felt she needed a kitten and her
one ferret does not like it to say the least.  The problem ferret (the one
I had major concerns over because she was a biter) keeps attacking the
kitten.  Her solution?  Get rid of the ferret and keep the kitten.

She wants to sell the ferret even though she claims it is not about the
money.  At first she wouldn't even admit that it was because this ferret
was biting even worse than before.  When this ferret was with us, we worked
on her and saw that during the week this ferret did not bite us.  This
ferret only bit her when she came for a visit.  It was clear to me that
this relationship would not last long.

I have explained that this ferret needs help now before she gets older
and the biting gets worse.  If she ends up selling this poor little girl,
the chances are great that the ferret will end up at the SPCA, or tossed
around to other homes who are ill equipped to handle a biting ferret.  I
recommended that she surrender this one to our shelter before the biting
gets out of hand and so that this little girl stands a chance for a happy
life.

She told me she would think about it...

I'll keep you guys updated once again...

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur
For the Love of Ferrets...