From:
Joanne Brigham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 May 2000 19:42:05 -0400
DISCLAIMER: This description is not intended to be used as treatment in any
way -- this info is for ferret owners who are interested in the possibility
of acupuncture for their ferrets *by a trained professional*.  Any wacko
who tries this by themselves deserves the consequences, but their pets do
not.

Well, our families think we need our heads examined, but we have started
Kiwi on acupuncture treatments.  We were referred by our vet to another vet
trained in animal acupuncture.  She had never done a ferret before, and
said that when she called an expert, he told her ferrets responded very
well, but were usually difficult to treat because they 'resisted' staying
still for 10 minutes with needles stuck in them (imagine it!<g>).  She told
me if Kiwi wouldn't stay still, she would insert the needles, remove them,
and drop B12 on the spots to stimulate the area.  But I had faith in my
little champ, and I told her I thought we could make it through 10 minutes.
I learned that it usually took 3 - 4 treatments for any change to be seen,
and would probably require a total of 7 or 8 treatments (at $30 a pop in
upstate NY).  She explained that it worked through 'stimulating the energy'
in certain areas of her body - a vague definition at best.

I kept Kiwi busy with Nutrical on my fingers while the vet inserted tiny
needles - one in the bottom of each foot, two in her left hip (her bad
leg), and two along her spine.  The ones in her spine were the only ones
Kiwi reacted to - she snapped at the vet (I was ready for it!), then calmed
down.  Kiwi, angel that she is, stayed very still for the full 10 minutes,
as long as I kept a treat in front of her.  The needles were removed, and
the vet showed me some massage techniques, and recommended I feed small
amounts of vitamin E daily to stimulate the nerves.  She told me not to be
surprised if Kiwi was lethargic or more energetic for awhile, or if I saw
no change at all.

Kiwi was restless, but not agitated, for a day or so.  Then we bundled her
into the carrier and brought her out to the new boat for the weekend.  She
was all over the cabin (ferret-proofed first!), and actually started
*using* that left leg!  Not perfectly, but a strong improvement.  She did
that throughout the weekend - drawing the leg forward, and tottering on the
balled up foot for several steps.  We are very pleased, to say the least!
Every animal reacts differently, and there's no way of predicting how far
Kiwi will go, but the signs are positive!  :-D

Poor girl, Friday night was not the best for her (or our!) first night on
the water.  The lake water was rising close to flood level, the floating
docks are now going uphill, there were terrible thunder storms and rough
winds all night long.  None of us slept very well.  When the last of the
storms whipped through on Saturday, she was so tired she slept through it!
But Saturday night was peaceful, other than the still-rising water levels,
and we all slept like babies.  She was a champ - never got real nervous,
always curious and trusting, as long as mom or dad was nearby.

I'm only home for a day (off to Florida -- sorry, Cap, it's a short visit,
and most of it will be at a writer's conference in Jacksonville), so if I
don't reply for a week or so, please don't be offended!  Hubby is taking
care of the crew -- I think I'll miss Kiwi as much as I'll miss him
(sh-h-h-h!).  I'll keep you posted on Kiwi's progress through the weeks.

Joanne
Some things have to be believed to be seen...