From:
Joanne Brigham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 10:24:54 -0400
Rick wrote:
>I don't care that you had to accept the job promotion and you were forced
>to give up that living creature who you have bonded with for the past two
>years and now are abandoning so you can make more money.  I don't care
>that you have to move..... DO NOT PURCHASE THIS FERRET IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA
>WHAT IS GOING ON IN YOUR LIFE FOR THE NEXT TEN YEARS."

Well, Rick, it's obvious you don't care about much.  I envy you for having
a life where you know what's happening for the next ten years -- you are
very fortunate.  But out here in the real world, life isn't that simple.
I have never abandoned a pet, and hope I never have to.  I abhore people
who consider their pets to be totally disposable.  But life happens, Rick.
There are circumstances when good people just can't keep their pets in a
healthy environment, and the best thing to do is surrender them and hope
they find a better home.

I feel compassion for you because it sounds as if you are really burned
out.  You have probably seen some horrible things, and you've allowed that
to make you bitter and angry.  But surely you don't really think that
ferrets come before someone's children getting food?  Or that someone
shouldn't accept a new job that will provide a better future for their
family just because the ferrets can't come along?  These decisions may not
come easily, but they sometimes have to be made.  None of us have any idea
what will happen in our lives over the next ten years.  Certainly my life
is completely different than what I pictured 10 years ago (fortunately, for
the better!).  I had no way of knowing that I would meet a wonderful man
and marry him, and live a wonderful life with him.  I sure didn't know I'd
move four times (all the critters tagged along).  Just as my cousin had no
way of knowing her young husband would drop dead of a heart attack, leaving
her deeply in debt.

Rick, it sounds as though you need a break.  Do you have any way of taking
a vacation?  Or maybe doing some volunteer work that would allow you to see
the GOOD people of the world?  The ferrets you are handling must surely be
sensing your stress and anger.

RE: NIGHTMARES -- Don't worry about your ferret crying in its sleep.  That
is normal.  I know how you feel, though -- I usually go hold my little
Rosie when she cries in her sleep (which, of course, wakes her up).  She
has never been abused, but has cried sometimes in her sleep since she was a
baby.  She sounds so pathetic!  My big boy, Seamus, dreams also.  He will
be sound asleep, and his paws will start paddling like crazy!  He's either
hunting mice or female ferrets!

Joanne