Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 1996 13:53:47 -0800
>I've been reading some of the past fml documents.. it seems there is alot
>of ferret illnesses. Are ferrets' immune systems weak, or have they been
>overbred.?..

Hah!  I have to agree with you on that one, Celia.  I'm glad I discovered
this mailing list AFTER I had already acquired my ferrets and decided they
were great pets!  Looking at the postings on this list superficially, one
could get the impression that ferrets are basically doomed and sickly
critters, and the people who own them are masochists who think it's fun
adopting animals that are going to run up a gargantuan veterinary bill and
then drop dead prematurely!

Fact is, though, as in most other things, the vast majority of ferrets out
there are happy and healthy and their owners are perfectly normal (well,
almost).  ;-) You don't hear from them because they don't have any
questions!  So the balance of postings leans toward problems and sicknesses,
and people seeking advice.

But don't let that get you discouraged or paranoid over every little thing.
Ferrets shove their noses into everything and so they wind up sneezing and
coughing (you would too, with a faceful of dust and dust mites!) No matter
how much you brush them and feed them Linatone for a nice skin and coat and
occasionally bathe them, they constantly have the "itches" -- they even jump
straight up from a dead sleep and start scratching like demons were after
them sometimes (kinda scary when they are sleeping on your lap!).  They
catch cold and flu viruses.  If you are prone to catching colds, your
ferret(s) will have the sniffles too.  Of course, they get into everything
and have absolutely no fear, so they sometimes hurt themselves.  Mine
misjudge a leap now and then and crack their chins on the coffee table, or
romp around the apartment so fast they crash into things (like bookcases).
I'm surprised they aren't in traction by now!  But they're ultra flexible
and seem to take all the knocks in stride.

My advice:

1) Unless they're locked up in a cage, don't assume you know where they are!
   They move like lightning.  Many times I've thought mine were asleep in
   the other room but there they were, at my feet, looking up at me!

2) Ferrets love their people-pets and will follow them around everywhere.
   If you're not careful you'll kick them, step on them, or step on their
   toes.  Learn to shuffle your feet around the house and watch your feet
   when you step down or over something!  Or teach them to wear collars
   with bells (you'll still have to watch out, though).

3) Check every seat before you sit down!  Fuzzies will snuggle under the
   blankets, coverlets, pillows, cushions where you sit to be cozy and to
   be near you and your smell.  If you don't check for lumps you'll crush
   the critters.

4) Every time ferrets wake up they stretch and yawn (the little cuties).
   That's a good time to once a day take a flashlight and have a look
   inside their mouths and down their throats for anything that looks
   superficially wrong (like inflammation, a sore, whatever) and check
   their noses and eyes.  An ounce of prevention ...

5) When they're sound asleep is a good time to check inside their ears and
   to listen to their breathing.

6) When you cuddle them you can put your ear up to their chests or backs to
   check for any unusual (wheezy) breathing sounds.

7) Of course, if you handle them constantly (like you should!), you'll know
   right away if there are any unusual changes in their bodies, like a
   suspicious lump, a sore limb, etc.

Animals are stoic about pain and discomfort -- they're not generally
crybabies like we humans are!  -- so it's wise to get in the habit of
routinely checking them for symptoms.  But don't let it make you a proxy
hypochondriac or worry you to distraction (as in "obsessed with poop") --
unless you ENJOY worrying, of course.  To each his or her own.  :-)

A pet should bring you joy and delight, not fear and worry.  If it doesn't
you've chosen the wrong pet!  As long as you give them lots of fresh food
and water in clean dishes, keep their quarters and bedding clean and fresh,
and show them lots of affection, you'll most likely have no problems at all.
Enjoy!