From:
Amy Seyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 11:37:52 -0400
At the risk of getting flamed, I'd like to throw in my $0.02 in about the
woman who is pregnant and is trying to place her ferrets.

I realize not everyone's situation is the same, but I have to tell you this:
my husband and I have had ferrets for almost seven years (I had them before
him, so I go back to 1989).  When we decided to have a baby, it was with the
understanding that the ferrets had been there first and so must continue to
stay or we simply wouldn't have children.

Now, we currently are living from paycheck to paycheck and have $20 in our
savings account, so we are by no means living vicariously.  And my 6 y.o.
ferret with cardio needs to see the vet, and my 5 y.o.  needs his teeth
cleaned, and car taxes (for those of us who live in the lovely commonwealth
of Virginia) are past due and car insurance is due and Christmas is
coming...you see where I'm heading with this.

I simply could not EVER stand the thought of my babies wondering why they
were sent away.  Sure, they'd forget after a while, but *I* never would.  As
far as apartment living goes, yeah, we do that too.  However, the ferrets
were here first and the office knows that.

Again, I'm not rendering judgment on anyone; it just makes me so sad when
these types of decisions have to be made.

BTW, Sarah gets along with all of the ferrets fine -- she loves them, they
make her smile.  How could I deprive my *human* child of the love that
ferrets give?

Amy, Dave & Sarah (and their gaggle of giggling ferrets)
RIP Ian and Elektra