From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 01:04:54 -0500
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=6797&startid=6798

>My vet suggests that I treat with pred rather than partial removal of
>the pancreas, because the surgery would be invasive and there's no way
>to know if it will do any good, as the cancer may have spread throughout
>the pancreas.  I don't want to subject him to a traumatic surgery if it
>will not improve his quality of life, on the other hand...if it will
>help, I'll do whatever is needed.
>
>According to my vet, if I just treat with pred, the lifespan from
>diagnosis is maybe a year, probably less and if we do the pancrectomy,
>it's about the same....

That is incorrect.  The lifespan with a partial pancreatectomy is
significantly greater than with nodulectomy or certainly with medication
alone.  I have had ferrets doing well two or three years post-op.  My
recommendation would be to find a vet who is comfortable with doing the
partial pancreatectomy and go for it.

Dr. Ruth
Find it.  Fix it.  And fly again.