From:
Sharon Burbine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 1995 15:00:22 -0500
Heres this weeks final update on House Bill 295 (the Ferret Bill):

Monday, Nov. 20th it was engrossed in the House.
Wed, Nov. 22, it was Enacted in the House.
Wednesday, Nov, 22, they tried to get it read in the Senate for its final
enactment there, but were unable to.  The Senate met briefly today (just a
few minutes and broke quickly for the Holiday tomorrow).

We are hopeful that it will before the Senate on Monday Nov 27 for its final
enactment.  If it goes before the Senate, it could be amended again, or
enacted on.  We just won't know till it happens.  IF it gets enacted, it
will go directly to Governor Weld.  Thats a big IF.  We are CAUTIOUSLY
HOPEFUL it will happen.

Once it gets to Gov. Weld, several things could happen, Gov. Weld could sign
it (we are hopeful he will), he could veto it (eech) or, he could send it
back to the House or Senate for whatever reasons he deems, i.e., wording etc

Once it gets to Governor Weld, accompanying the Bill will be our Petition
with almost 2,000 signatures on it, Jean Carly's 1996 Ferret Calendar, and a
cover letter from the Mass Friends Group.

WORD OF CAUTIONS: Please, if Gov.  Weld signs this Bill, it will not be
legal for 90 DAYS.  We will let everyone know when the Ferret Freedom Day in
MA occurs.

Already in the works is getting a photo-op with the Governor as he signs the
bill.  From what I understand, sometimes they have signing cermonies.  We
have asked Rep. Jones to request this.  Course, if it holds up the Governor
from signing the bill, we'll just schedule it for a later date.  The reasons
we want to do this is so we can send Gov. Weld's picture with the Ferret
Owners in MA off to his buddy, Gov. Pete Wilson in California.  Imagine what
that will do for CA people.

On Monday, Nov. 27th, any MA residents will need to call their Senator's
office again.  We will also need you to keep calling the Ferret Hotline at
(617) 224-1098 for updates throughout the day on Monday on what you'll need
to do next.  If it gets thru the Senate,  the directive will be to call the
Governor's office.  But, please don't call the Govenors office until we tell
you, it will just fall on deaf ears.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.