From:
heidi wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 17:50:18 -0700
Hi everyone! This is my first post ever :)

I am hoping someone out there might be able to help me out with a nipping
problem... My little Fubar is about 3 months old and frisky as can be.  For
the most part, he is learning not to bite down hard when we play (he is
working on recognizing that my FEET are also covered in skin just like my
hands :) but he is getting there.

Anyway, he seems to respond to a firm NO! along with a scruff once in
awhile and his biting is getting milder.  However, he still bites me when
I give him treats.  He eats like a horse, is growing quickly, and the vet
says he is the epitomy of health, so I know he isn't starving...I think he
just REALLY REALLY likes treats.  I am training him to come to me when he
hears a bell, and i have been rewarding him with a treat.  I know that some
people have noted that some ferrets dont' like certain sounds like squeaky
toys or rubbing a window, but Fubu doesn't seem bothered by any of that.
He just goes freaky when he smells the ferret treat and he will do anything
to get at it...including biting through my finger.  It is the only time he
really bites too hard, but I don't want to stop giving him treats because
he is doing really well with his training.  I started out by holding it
between my fingers and when he bit them, I assumed that maybe it was the
way I was holding it that was making it difficult to take it b etween his
teeth.  So then I put it flat in my palm so he could just pick it up.  He
still bit me because he gets frenzied when he smells it and he knows it is
coming.  He even bites me if i put it down on the floor becuase he thinks
it is still in my hand, so he sniffs and snorts and then starts chewing my
skin.  He will lick Ferretone off my finger but he will chew the skin a
little when he has licked up most of it.  Does anyone have any ideas on how
I can curb this behavior without witholding his treats?

thanks for any suggestions.

Fubar the frenzied ferret and his human Heidi