Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 11:34:26 -0400
I have been a long time fml reader and have had ferrets for several years,
this doesn't make me an expert but..  I know one thing!  A ferret's
affection can be bought!  The answer: FOOD!  This could be raisins (not
too many due to sugar), Ferritvite, Ferritone, etc.  I can tell you from
personal experience, once your little guy realizes you might remotely have
a treat for him, he will be all over you whether you have anything or not!
I have a ferret that I adopted from a shelter a little over a year ago.
He wasn't exactly shy but he was wary of me for as long as it took him to
discover Ferretvite.  When I gave him a little out of the tube, he still
wasn't thrilled about being petted but he put up with it as long as he
was getting something in return.  He now visits me regularly, just to see.
When I do nails and/ or ears, I can't keep the 6 of them away from me!
That is their treat on their bellies to get that done easily.  Actually,
this is how I taught most, not all, to come to me when I call them, I give
them a treat.  Bribe them!  They love it!

Good luck with your little one and with some patience, a soothing voice
and a treat in hand, he'll come around.

Kym
Oso, Widget, Tasha, Sunny, Hemmingway, and Bumble